Father Isaac Jogues

A French Jesuit Missionary to establish peace among the Indians in the Mohawk Valley, was one of the first white men to gaze upon a most beautiful and pristine body of water on the Eve of Corpus Christie in May of 1646. He named the lake “Lac Du Saint Sacrement,” which means the Lake of the Blessed Sacrement. The name remained for more than 100 years until General William Johnson renamed it for his British King, George II in 1755- Lake George.

A monument to Father Jogues stands in the historic Battlefield Park, located in Lake George Village.