Boating is one of the most popular outdoor activities families can enjoy together in the Lake George NY and Adirondack Region, and can be experienced by those who need to rent or already own a boat.
While there are several regional marinas that provide boat rentals, the following include a list of boat launching sites for those who are trailering their own boat and looking for safe access points to launch them into the lakes and rivers. These boat launching sites are either public access – where you launch your boat yourself (usually without a fee), or at a marina – which will charge you a fee for “put-in” or “take-out.” This fee may or may not include parking your vehicle on their property.
Public Launching Sites
The following are do-it-yourself, public access ties that are provided for your convenience without charge:
On Lake George
• Hague Town Beach – Route 9N. Hard surface ramp.
• Lake George Village – adjacent to Million Dollar Beach, Beach Road. Hard surface ramp. Parking for 200 cars and trailers. Closed during swimming season. Open mid-Sept. to mid-May.
• Mossy Point – on Black Point Road, 2 miles south of Ticonderoga on east shore. Hard surface ramp.
• Northwest Bay Brook – Route 9N, 4 miles north of Bolton Landing. Hand launch. Parking for 15 cars.
• Rogers Rock Campground – Route 9N, 3 miles north of Hamlet of Hague. Hard surface ramp. Parking for 24 cars and trailers. Open year round. Day use fee.
On Glen Lake
• Glen Lake Road – Route 9 in Queensbury. Only non-motorized boats permitted. Hand launch.
On Lake Luzerne
• Luzerne Public Beach (opposite school) – Route 9N in Lake Luzerne. Max. 71/2 h.p. – car-top carry. Beach launch.
On Moreau Lake
• Moreau State Park – 1 mile south of I-87, exit 17S. Trailer & hand launching. Parking for 10 cars and trailers. No motors.
On Sacandaga Lake
• Broadalbin – County Route 110. Hard surface ramp. Parking for 70 cars and trailers.
• Edinburgh – Edinburg-Conklingville Road. Hard Surface launching ramp. Parking for 44 cars and trailers.
• Northampton Beach – campground near Route 30. Hard surface ramp. Parking for 100 cars and trailers.
• Northville – Route 30. Hard surface launching ramp. Parking for 60 cars and trailers.
On Saratoga Lake
• North End – adjacent to Route 9P. Hard surface ramp. Parking for 40 cars and trailers with overflow parking.
On Schroon Lake
• Eagle Point State Campsite – Route 9. Hand Launch. Parking for 4 cars.
• Horicon – Route 9. Hard surface ramp. Parking for 49 cars and trailers.
On the Upper Hudson River
• Corinth – Spier Falls Road. concrete ramp. Parking for 5 cars and trailers.
• Lake Luzerne – East River Drive. Hard surface ramp. Parking for 30 cars and trailers.
For more information on public boat launching, New York State publishes a directory of all New York State access and launching sites, which also includes information on how to trailer and launch your boat. Click here to view it.
These marinas (for a charge) provide expertise, safety, and easy access, for any size boat on Lake George:
• Chic’s Marina - in Bolton Landing on Lake George
• Yankee Boating Center – in Bolton Landing on Lake George
Chic’s Marina and Yankee Boating Center also offer boat rentals. To browse a full directory of marinas and other businesses that provide boat rental services, please click on “Boating” and “Kayaking/Canoeing.”