Today, the Warren County Bikeway is a 17 mile bicycle trail connecting Fort Edward and Lake George. This popular pathway for joggers, walkers and cyclists has signage highlighting historical attractions with photos, paintings, and maps displayed throughout. However, it wasn’t always a bikeway path but a Delaware & Hudson Railroad line. This D & H railroad branch, constructed in 1882, joined the main line at Fort Edward and traveled northbound ending at the railroad station in Lake George (currently called “The Station” on Beach Road, next to Battlefield Park across from the lake). Before automobiles traveled the highways, this popular rail line was used by vacationers and travelers from New York City and Albany. Conveniently located across the street from the railroad station, the steamboats on Lake George would depart from the steel pier (as still does today with the Lake George Steamboat Company) for an enjoyable boat cruise up the lake. In fact, it was such a popular summer activity that five daily trains to and from Lake George were scheduled – all to accommodate the departure and arrival times of the boat cruises at the pier.
To find out more information on today’s Warren County Bikeway, click here
Visitors are welcomed to visit “The Station” on Beach Road (which is currently the home of Scherer’s Antiques second antique shop, called The Steamboat Store) or cross the street and take a boat cruise from the steel pier with the Lake George Steamboat Company. Click below for more information on them.