• Father Isaac Jogues

    A French Jesuit Missionary to establish peace among the Indians in the Mohawk Valley, was one of the first white men to gaze upon a most beautiful and pristine body of water on the Eve of Corpus Christie in May of 1646. He named the lake “Lac Du Saint Sacrement,” which means the Lake of the Blessed Sacrement. The name remained for more than 100 years until General William Johnson renamed it for his British King, George II in 1755- Lake George.

    A monument to Father Jogues stands in the historic Battlefield Park, located in Lake George Village.

  • Lake George Guide
    P.O. Box 148, Lake George, NY 12845 :: Phone (518) 668-4887
    © 2017 Lake George Guide, All Rights Reserved. This Guide, including the individual and collective advertisements, articles, photographs, and other materials contained herein, are the sole and exclusive property of the Lake George Guide, and may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent of the Lake George Guide. The copyright for this Guide is registered with the U.S. Copyright Office. The Lake George Guide and its participating businesses are not responsible or liable for any typographical errors, omissions, or unannounced changes in information.
    Lake George aerial photography provided by © Carl E. Heilman II / Wild Visions, Inc., All rights reserved.