Lake George Historical Association Museum

Address: 290 Canada Street, Lake George, NY 12845
Phone: (518) 668-5044

In The Lake George Institute of History, Art & Science

(formerly the Warren County Courthouse).

Visit the Old County Courthouse Museum and Jail Cells built in 1845 and become acquainted with the history of the Lake George Region. Once served as the Warren County Courthouse until 1963, it now is the residence for the Lake George Historical Association. The museum well represents the history of the Lake George Region. On exhibit within the walls of this National Historic Register building are paintings, documents, photos, artifacts, and furnishings from the Lake George Historical Association’s collection.

The Lake George Historical Association Museum is located in the heart of Lake George Village, next to Shepard Park.


Special Exhibits:

Go inside one of the original 1845 jail cells, definitely a room without a view! On your visit into this fine old building you will see paintings, photos, documents, and special items including: Native American artifacts, The Lake George Monster, stories in pictures of historic boats found in L.G., 1756 powder horn, Prospect Mt. History, Diorama, map, flags & books of the 1777 Battle at Saratoga, Early 20th C. American Ephemera, Old photographs of L.G. Lives in History, 15th Century dugout canoe, Antique tools, 1930’s hand crafted Lake George Rowboat, and The Kurosakas’ Memorabilia/Nara Gift Shop.

2013 exhibit: “Spirit of Presence And Place: Georgia O’Keeffe And Alfred Stieglitz In Lake George” – Prints of O’Keeffe’s paintings, photographs of Stieglitz, and a diorama of the main street in the Village of Lake George, including the Stieglitz estate called Oaklawn.


Museum Bookstore:

Be sure to visit the museum bookstore which has a comprehensive selection of adult and children’s books about the history of this region.


Museum & Bookstore Hours:

  • Spring:  Open Saturdays & Sundays 11AM-4PM (Memorial Day Weekend thru end of June)
  • Summer:  Open Tues., Fri. & Sat. 11AM-4PM • Wednes. & Thurs. 3-8PM • Closed Sun. & Mon. (July & August)
  • Fall:  Open Fri., Sat., & Sun. 11AM-4PM (September) • Sat. & Sun. 11AM-4PM (October 1-20)
  • Call to confirm hours. No Admission Fee.

Located at The Old Warren County Court House – on The National Register of Historic Places
290 Canada St.  Lake George, NY  12845  • (Map E-4)
(518) 668-5044

For more information, click “Lake George Historical Association Museum” below under Related Pages.


Past 2012 exhibits: A room dedicated to HER STORY – celebrating the lives of several women in history from the Lake George area – includes memorabilia and photos from the ERVIEN family; the LEFFINGWELL mansion; the MOON family; and a dollhouse built by their Grandfather in the early 1900’s for sisters Mildred and Marion Eldridge. A new exhibit with information about THE GRACE – a Naptha engine powered boat from the 1890’s owned by Robert Ervien. An exhibit of masks worn by the dance team of Perzade and Jetan while performing on the cruise ship, Showboat, on the waters of Lake George in the 1930’s.



Coupons

No coupons available.

Map