Adirondack Theatre Festival
The Wood Theater on Glen Street (Rt.9)
Downtown Glens Falls, NY 12801
“NYC Theatre. ADK Location.”
The Adirondack Theatre Festival is a professional not-for-profit summer theater located in Glens Falls. For 5-6 weeks each summer, the Adirondack Theatre Festival (ATF) produces several theatre performances using professional actors/artists from New York City and across the country who have worked regularly on and off-Broadway, in television, and in movies.
During the ATF season (beginning late June), there are usually 3 Mainstage productions, plus Cabarets, Reader’s Nights, and Post-Show Discussions & Special Events. The material used for these performances are never older than five years and are original works hand crafted specifically for ATF audiences.
All Adirondack Theatre Festival performances are held at the Charles R. Wood Theater in Downtown Glens Falls.
2013 Season Shows:
- June 26-29, July 3, 5-6… “Heartbreaker: Two Months with Judy Garland” – Features some of Judy Garland’s most memorable songs, and shares the true story of how songwriter John Meyer fell in love with Garland & how he attempted to rescue her from her self-destruction/ 7:30PM Shows (also 2PM matinee on Wed., July 3).
- July 11-13, 17-20… “Filming O’Keeffe” – This new lyrical & funny play, that incorporates local history with a modern twist, is about a teen named Max who uncovers his parents’ hidden past when making a film about artists Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stiegltiz; in support of Hyde Collection’s exhibition, “My Summer Place: Georgia O’Keeffe and Lake George” (7:30PM, also at 2PM on July 18).
- July 18-20… “2nd Act Cabaret” – Multi-instrumentalist, David Finch, returns to ATF playing his guitar, banjo, and even the spoons (9:30PM).
- July 25-27 & 31, Aug. 1-3… “Avenue Q” – A part human/ part puppet show featuring Princeton who discovers his life’s purpose (7:30PM, and at 2PM on July 31).
- July 28-29… “The Bailey’s Crossroads Opportunity School” – A reading of a new comedy play and post-show discussion with audience contribution (7:30PM).
- August 9-10… “Faraway Nearest One: Stieglitz to O’Keeffe, O’Keeffe to Stieglitz” – A reading of the letters written to and from Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz (7:30PM).
Past 2012 Season Shows:
- June 26 – 30, 2012
- By A.R. Gurney. A recent Off-Broadway hit comedy set in a Lake George hotel on the eve of a family wedding.
- 7:30PM Shows. (2PM matinee on Wed, June 27).
The More Things Change:
- June 28 – 30, 2012
- A musical comedy cabaret performance featuring the latest songs by NYC songwriting duo Kellen Blair & Joe Kinosian.
- 9:30 PM Shows.
Next To Normal:
- July 5 – 14, 2012
- Music by Tom Kitt/ Book and Lyrics by Brian Yorkey. This intense, emotional and ultimately hopeful musical makes a direct grab for the heart with its story of a family coming to terms with its past and bravely facing its future. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and Three Tony Awards.
- 7:30 PM Shows. (2PM matinee on Wed, July 11).
Wood Sez – The Music and Life of Woody Guthrie:
- July 19 – 28, 2012
- A joyous, toe-tapping, and heartfelt theatrical portrait that uses Woody’s words and songs to transport the audience through his fascinating, beautiful, and sometimes tragic life. In honor of the Woody Guthrie Centennial.
- 7:30PM Shows (2PM matinee on Wed, July 25).
- July 21-22, 2012
- Only two public readings of a new play, written by playwright Eric Lane and directed by Marth Banta, that incorporates local Lake George history with a modern twist.